Singapore. The briefer component of this dichotomy of a life I'm living (to borrow a phrase). The hotter, insanely humid part too, if I may add. That which is summed up by 3 Fs (I too cringe at acronyms, but.) - Family, Friends, Food.
Okay, maybe an R too. Reflection. Thinking how I'd sum up the year, one word kept cropping up - Inadequacy. But not quite. (Haha right, the irony.) Academically, it had been a most challenging year. Inadequacy aptly describes the two 79s I collected in the first semester. Haha alright, I've put that behind now. I think I've already over-talked about how results don't always accurately reflect effort. While it has been tough, this year has also been pretty fulfilling. Some people say that the first time you use a stethoscope is a significant part of the medical student process. Well, that was this year, and frankly, though it made us feel like pseudo-doctors, we were just plain pretending we could hear anything beyond the thump of the usual heartbeat. We'll learn. Fulfilling also because we touched on the interesting areas like cardiorespiratory, and neuroscience.
Hmmm I suppose inadequacy in friendships and relationships too, in a way. I realised that I've lost (or almost lost) contact with some friends and consequently nearly some friendships I treasure. Whether it's procrastination, genuine lack of time, different priorities, it's irresponsible of me and painful. One thing I'm gonna do next year is to make a conscious effort to send emails or if circumstances permit, call friends to just catch up and let them know that I care. (Which is of course something I have an absolute lack of skills in.) Haha.
In church/OCF too, there is also a certain sense of not enough. Like learning to lead Bible-study this year, there is always the sense of not knowing enough, and maybe not feeling that I am in a position to teach others. But that's something I will learn to cope with.
Haha well. It has been a year with especially high peaks and low troughs. Like a friend once wrote to me, uni is really a time of finding yourself. Indeed. =)
Okay, maybe an R too. Reflection. Thinking how I'd sum up the year, one word kept cropping up - Inadequacy. But not quite. (Haha right, the irony.) Academically, it had been a most challenging year. Inadequacy aptly describes the two 79s I collected in the first semester. Haha alright, I've put that behind now. I think I've already over-talked about how results don't always accurately reflect effort. While it has been tough, this year has also been pretty fulfilling. Some people say that the first time you use a stethoscope is a significant part of the medical student process. Well, that was this year, and frankly, though it made us feel like pseudo-doctors, we were just plain pretending we could hear anything beyond the thump of the usual heartbeat. We'll learn. Fulfilling also because we touched on the interesting areas like cardiorespiratory, and neuroscience.
Hmmm I suppose inadequacy in friendships and relationships too, in a way. I realised that I've lost (or almost lost) contact with some friends and consequently nearly some friendships I treasure. Whether it's procrastination, genuine lack of time, different priorities, it's irresponsible of me and painful. One thing I'm gonna do next year is to make a conscious effort to send emails or if circumstances permit, call friends to just catch up and let them know that I care. (Which is of course something I have an absolute lack of skills in.) Haha.
In church/OCF too, there is also a certain sense of not enough. Like learning to lead Bible-study this year, there is always the sense of not knowing enough, and maybe not feeling that I am in a position to teach others. But that's something I will learn to cope with.
Haha well. It has been a year with especially high peaks and low troughs. Like a friend once wrote to me, uni is really a time of finding yourself. Indeed. =)
Wednesday, December 03, 2008